Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angelic Layer

3 posters

:: Anime & Manga :: Shojo

Go down

Angelic Layer  Empty Angelic Layer

Post by Naiwen Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm

So, who's watched Angelic Layer, a shojo anime, but with battle games and kinda like yu-gi-oh for girls. XDD

Directly copy-pasted from the wiki, not my words:
The primary protagonist of Angelic Layer is Misaki Suzuhara, a seventh grader who just moved to Tokyo to live with her aunt, Shouko Asami. After arriving in the city, she watches the battle doll Athena on a big screen television outside of Tokyo Station and becomes interested in learning about Angelic Layer, a highly popular game in which players (called Deus) buy and custom-design dolls known as Angels. Angels can move by mental control when on a field called the "layer." Layers are very expensive; most users rent them by the hour in establishments resembling cybercafes.
An eccentric man wearing a white lab coat and glasses, calling himself "Icchan" (いっちゃん), encourages Misaki to purchase and create her own angel. She names the angel Hikaru, after Hikaru Shidō from Clamp's Magic Knight Rayearth (a manga in Angelic Layer's world), which she was reading on the train to Tokyo. She wants the angel to be "a short girl, but strong and happy" like Hikaru and herself. In the anime, Misaki names her Hikaru after her favorite doll from her childhood. Even though she's clueless about the game, Misaki soon competes in tournaments and is assisted and watched carefully by Icchan. Later, Icchan's identity is revealed as Ichiro Mihara, the co-creator of Angelic Layer.
Misaki also begins studying at the Eriol Academy, an educational institution which includes grades from kindergarten through high school. There she becomes friends with Hatoko Kobayashi, a very intelligent and mature kindergarten girl who is a famous Deus and an Angelic Layer expert. Her incredibly fast angel Suzuka is a favourite contender in tournaments. Misaki also befriends Hatoko's older brother Kōtarō Kobayashi and his friend Tamayo Kizaki, a girl fascinated by martial arts. Both turn out to be Misaki's classmates.
While adjusting to her new surroundings, Misaki is also gripped by her past. Her thoughts often dwell on her mother, whom she has not seen since pre-school. Eventually Misaki learns that her mother was key in the development of Angelic Layer, which she worked on in an attempt to develop a perfect prosthesis for her multiple sclerosis, which has confined her to a wheelchair. Her mother is also the Deus of Athena and the champion of Angelic Layer.
In the manga series, Misaki's mother does not have multiple sclerosis, nor is she depicted in a wheelchair. The ending to the manga also has different couplings.
The manga series is set a few years before Chobits, a Clamp work in the same universe as Angelic Layer. In the manga, Icchan plays an important role in the Chobits storyline, but this connection was reduced to a single scene in the anime; the Chobits anime was also made by a different company. Likewise, in the Chobits anime, Icchan has a brief cameo but is not mentioned by name for the same reason. Kaede's younger brother Minoru (a common Japanese name) is also a Chobits character.

So thats the plot. My personal thoughts: I really liked this anime. Although it was girlish and immature at times, and the heroine didn't act her age at times, the anime/manga still got some charms in my opinion. I didn't like her mom though, because of her overshyness and tendency to overract to things. For example, hiding herself when in presence of her daughter and other stuff.

Last edited by Naiwen on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Naiwen
Naiwen

Female Posts : 622

Back to top Go down

Angelic Layer  Empty Re: Angelic Layer

Post by Admiral Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah, i seen this on netflix, I liked though i wish they continued the series.
Admiral
Admiral

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaynil Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Interesting, I had no idea of the relation between this one and Chobits, I didn't even know this one was made by CLAMPS as well.

I watched a few episodes by request of a friend but they didn't hook me enough to search for more by my own.
Kaynil
Kaynil
Anime Maniac
Anime Maniac

Female Posts : 55

http://roczuz.com/-c2

Back to top Go down

Post by Naiwen Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:59 am

Kaynil wrote:Interesting, I had no idea of the relation between this one and Chobits, I didn't even know this one was made by CLAMPS as well.

I watched a few episodes by request of a friend but they didn't hook me enough to search for more by my own.
yep, as the Xxholic one. I love XXholic by the way, will start a thread about it soon.
Naiwen
Naiwen

Female Posts : 622

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Anime & Manga :: Shojo

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum